What: Communications Officer
Where: The Advocacy Initiative, Dublin
Purpose of the role: Deepen and broaden the communications capacity of the Initiative, contributing to realising of the Initiative’s key objective to reframe the relationship between social justice advocacy and the State.
Reporting to: Director
When: Two year contract, 2.5 day week starting as soon as possible.
Salary range: €30,000 – €35,000 pro rata, depending on experience.
The Advocacy Initiative is a three-year community and voluntary sector project that promotes understanding, awareness and effectiveness of social justice advocacy in Ireland. By creating the conditions for stronger social justice advocacy, the Initiative will strengthen policy responses to existing and emerging challenges in addressing poverty and social exclusion, contributing to a more inclusive and equitable society.
Twelve months into its three-year strategy the Initiative is seeking to appoint a part-time Communications Officer who will deepen and broaden the communications capacity of the Initiative. The success of the Initiative depends on its capacity to engage a broad range of stakeholder involved in the policy-making process in Ireland.
For more information see: www.advocacyinititaive.ie
The Communications Officer will be responsible for implementing and developing the Initiative’s communications strategy. Main tasks include:
• Developing the Initiative’s website and ensuring the website becomes a lasting resource beyond the current phase of the Initiative.
• Developing and organising national and local events to promote knowledge exchange and learning amongst social justice advocates.
• Creatively disseminating the outcomes of the Initiative, including reports, blogs, articles etc.
• Ensuring ongoing connection and information exchange with those involved in the Initiative (database, newsletter, social media, etc.).
• Raising the profile of the Initiative with key constituencies and broadening participation in the Initiative, including through the mainstream media.
• Ensuring that there is consistency in message and style across all communications.
• Other activities that contribute to the realisation of the Initiative’s objectives.
The ideal candidate will be excited to work with a small team to support those involved in The Advocacy Initiative to realise their ambitious goals for the transformation of social justice advocacy in Ireland.
Essential skills and attributes:
• A relevant third-level qualification or equivalent experience.
• An understanding of the NGO sector in Ireland and in particular social justice advocacy.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and capacity to build relationships and engagement with a range of stakeholders.
• Strong experience of managing websites and using content management solutions.
• Strong experience of managing social media channels and experience of working with mainstream media outlets.
• Experience of organising events.
• Attention to detail and an interest in developing creative/innovative design and dissemination strategies.
• Energetic self-starter who is prepared to take initiative and lead on project implementing, while working dynamically in a small team.
Desirable but not essential:
• Experience of working with Google analytics and generating meaningful reports.
• Experience of Salesforce or any CRM software.
Applications should include: (1) cover letter addressing the job description and person specification; (2) current CV and; (3) one page writing sample, and be sent to email@example.com by Wednesday 29 August, with ‘Recruitment’ in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Interviews will be held during the week of Monday 10th September.
Enquiries should be addressed to Anna Visser, Director, The Advocacy Initiative by phone 01 6853291 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.